Drive Wheels done. Track time.

Finished the drivewheels.  Still need to get a few more bolts, but 2 works for now. They look pretty much awesome.

So, now that I have those, I can begin working on the tracks, since I can figure out the exact spacing, size, and shape of the overhanging treads, which the drive sprockets will turn.

I cut up a rubber doormat to simulate the rubber track, and made some test plywood treads and inner alignment blocks, which apparently are called “bells”.

I then countersunk some holes for wood screws which go through the tread, through the track, and into the bells.

Then I put it over a drive wheel to test how it rolls, if it catches etc.

It does slightly catch as the track is coming off the sprockets, so when I make the actual treads out of UHMW, I am going to router the corners off the ends of the treads, and round off the corners on the drive sprocket teeth.  Like so:

Advertisements

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s