I finished the 2nd track, which is a great milestone. But before being able to actually install the tracks and really test them, I had a laundry list of detail work to do. Including: Adding spacers to the bogies for proper alignment, shaping the drive sprockets to the redesigned template, and making the wheels look like real wheels instead of just weird black discs.
So, I decided to make a wheel profile basically like a hub cap, where it would just be attached to the black UHMW wheels, to give the look of an actual wheel and tire. I first cut out plywood discs with a large holesaw. Then I drilled the holes, and coated them all with fiberglass resin:
Then I hung them and sprayed them with self-etching primer:
Then I painted them green, and attached them to the UHMW wheels with hex-head screws (to give the impression of bolts), and then did a quick spray to make the bolts match. They turned out pretty awesome:
Leave a comment
No comments yet.