Lower hull fiberglassing

Since the drivetrain is basically ready to finish, I decided I only wanted to run all the wires, and install the controls, etc, just one time (rather than installing everything, testing, and removing it all to fiberglass/paint the lower hull, then re-install all the wiring).  So I separated the frame from the lower hull, and am now fiberglassing the lower hull.

I made the fenders, glued and fiberglassed them in place.  I also added a piece to the rear to bring it up to the right height and shape.


I also added the internal supports for the front nose piece.    There will be a cover piece that will fit onto these, in fact they will be used to shape that removable piece (think of it like a hood on a car).  These pieces may not make a lot of sense just yet… the frame and front axle has to be able to be set down in, and the drive sprockets with their pulleys on need to be inserted from the sides, which is the reason for their odd shape.

Advertisements

Pulleys in place

I made the hubs that connect the pulleys to the drive sprockets.  I used a 3″ washer, a piece of steel tube, and a floor flange which matches the bolt pattern on the sprockets.

Then I bolted the hubs to the drive sprockets, and the pulleys to the hubs.  I fitted a test-belt (taped together) to figure out the length of the belts I need.  Everything lines up great, lookin good.  Now time to take everything apart to work on the lower hull, more to come on that soon…

Drive Pulleys

I went to the steelyard looking for pulleys, and they happened to have some UHMW v-belt pulleys, when purchased by the lb, came out to be very cheap. I got 8 of them, all exactly the same size, for under $3. At that price I figure they are worth a shot. If they break, I can always replace them with metal pulley’s later.

I also decided to use the scooter’s wheels as the hub to hold the pulleys on the driveshafts. I just cut the tire off. May seem funny, but they are the perfect width, and obviously are made for those exact driveshafts.. I just had to drill some holes and bolt on my pulleys (note those are temporary bolts).  I am thinking also, I could shave those ridges off the wheel, and then use some sort of band around it as the brakes.

Motors are in

With the wiring all figured out, I decided to go ahead and put the motors in. I cut the back of the scooter off to use for the motor mounting plate. Then I added some metal tracks so the plate can slide then bolt in place, to adjust the belts tensions. So everything is in place, just need to get the correct length bolts in a few places.