Testing

Well I got the wiring all buttoned up.  The issue ended up being the automotive relays got fried (12v relays didn’t like 24v).  I installed some idler pulleys to the drive belts.  And, put the levers in forward, gave it some throttle and….. it moved!!  I was able to go back and forth, and the tracks and drive sprockets, and controls all work great!  I am having some issues of blowing fuses when I get motors under too high of a load, so need to figure out how big of fuses to use without frying my relays.  May have to look for some high amperage relays.  Here is the wiring board with the new 24v relays:

The other thing I figured out is that I stupidly mis-calculated the top speed.  I was assuming a 5.125″ drive sprocket to figure out the speed (just like you would using a wheels diameter/circumference).  The problem with this, is the thickness of the tracks! By the time you add that in, the diameter is closer to 9″, meaning I have almost twice the top speed, and half the torque I was expecting!! So looks like I am going to gear it down 2:1 from the motors to the drive sprocket, and while I am at it, I am just going to switch to chains and sprockets to eliminate belt slipping issues.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s