Welding the frame

I am making the frame, and doing a little reshaping of the drive sprockets right now.  The frame is going pretty well.  My plan is to make 1 side, then make the other side on top of the first side, so they are as identical as possible.   Then, I will add the cross-members from one side to the other.

As for the drive sprockets, as mentioned in my last post, I am taking the corners off of them, so the treads clear as they come off.  I am just running the corners of the teeth, freehand, along the straight-cut router bit.  Doesn’t have to be perfect, just a little more clearance.

Frame design

After building the frame in Blender3d, I have a real good idea of how it needs to look.  However, my 3d rendering is not to scale.  So I have to do a 2d side view of the frame to determine it’s proper dimensions.

For  the people that like “plans”, this is about as close as I get.   If the dimensions aren’t perfect, I can make up for it by moving the bogies (and roller wheels) up or down until everything is about the right shape.

So, I used my drawing from TrackMath, and modified it to figure out the frames dimensions.  I did make one slight change from  the 3d model, which was having a small flat part in the back, instead of a straight 45-degrees to the top rail.

The frame is of course, the thick blue line.   That’s pretty much that.  I know, nothing ground-breaking here, but a necessary step nevertheless.   And most importantly.. it means I can begin the frame construction soon!

I’m going to use square tube, probably like 3/4″ OD.  I will decide for sure once I feel the actual material, and get an idea of weight.

I also need to decide exactly how wide to make the frame.   I can’t think of a good way to do that, other than pretty much winging it.  Total width will be around 3ft, but this frame will fit inside the tracks, so about 2ft wide… I guess.

Hey, first blog

Welcome to my blog about building a small scale Tank .. yes, a two-tracked vehicle that can go over diverse terrain.  This will of course be driven by my son as soon as he’s old enough.  He is 3 months now, so I figured I have 2-3 years to finish it, of course much of that time will be used to test, change, test, repeat.  This blog will track my progress.

I’m choosing to use a track/drive system similar to a Sherman Tank.   It will be powered by two electric motors, one for each side, with independent forward and reverse.  I am still undecided on if it will be purely electric, or hybrid electric, which will be determined later as needed.

I am starting the blog today, but the planning of building the tank has already been in the works, and I have collected some crucial parts, which I will get into soon!

For now, I’ll leave you with a few teaser pics..   Till next time!

3d rendering done with Blender3d

Rendering of the drive system as currently envisioned

  • Calendar

    • February 2020
      M T W T F S S
      « Jan    
  • Search