More tank driving

This was my son’s first chance to really drive the tank by himself, with the turret on, in an area big enough to go for a while with nothing to run into. He had a great time. The tank did pretty good.. nothing broke, and the suspension and controls all worked fine. Just need some more HP at some point, it struggles turning in place on soft terrain, and going up steel inclines.

Advertisements

Tank in action

Here is the tank getting some more testing done, and a new driver trying it out…

We’re gonna need a Montage

Here is a quick video montage of the build from the beginning…

All but finished

Well the tank has reached a point one could call finished.  Sure, I will always be tweaking, adding, and finishing up details, but basically, it’s done enough for now.  And it looks preeeeeeetty cool.

 

And here is a little test drive.  I had to take the turret off to drive it.. it is made for a kid afterall.  Watching this video was the first time I have seen the suspension work on a bump, and it worked great!

Detail work

I’m making the final push to finish the tank.  I’m knockin out a few details.  Like the mantlet for the main gun, made from a curved piece of fiberglass, and a cut up 3″x2″ abs reduction coupler:

 

Then I made the headlight guards, and painted and mounted some fog lights for headlights:


Then I painted the stars on the turret, installed the finished gun barrel, and mantlet, added little handles on the hatches, and the turret is finally finished.

 

Laying more color

I finished up the final details of upper hull bodywork, by finishing up the tops of the gunner hatch bump-outs.  I will be adding non-functional hatch doors later (they can’t be big enough to be used).

Then I was able to finish painting the inside of the upper hull.. with a little help..

 

Then I flipped it over, coated the plywood with epoxy resin, and took it out for it’s first coat of paint!  Still a few areas that show the wood grain that I will sand, smooth with epoxy, then repaint, but its looking pretty good seeing it all one color…

Turret is green!

Well, after attempting to coat the turret in gel coat, having some issues with it not curing on top of epoxy, I ended up scraping off uncured gelcoat, and adding pure hardener to cure the rest. Then I gave the whole turret a good sanding and applied epoxy resin instead. I applied it thickened in a few areas, with a spreader, to fix some flaws from the gel coat, and then brushed a coating of straight resin everywhere. Then I sanded it all again to roughen it up, then sprayed 2 coats of paint.  Later I can install all the hatches, and call it about done (other than some turret ring stuff). There really is nothing better than laying final paint color.

  • Calendar

    • December 2018
      M T W T F S S
      « Feb    
       12
      3456789
      10111213141516
      17181920212223
      24252627282930
      31  
  • Search